While I was on a pin binge a few days ago, I ran across a picture of zucchini pasta ribbons that had toasted hazelnuts on it and what looked like goat cheese. If we’re gonna be honest, the picture had me at goat cheese. I never clicked on it to see if there was a recipe, but just from the picture I wanted to try something similar. I asked for a veggie spiralizer for Christmas so I could experiment with different dishes and veggies in the place of pasta. Clearly by the picture above, I still added in the pasta, but you could always leave it out. I added it in because I had half a bag of noodles in the pantry to use up AND I was sharing it with someone who is a vegetarian and needed something a little more substantial than just a plate full of zucchini ribbons.
For the Zucchini Pasta with Hazelnuts and Goat Cheese sauce, I went with a cross between sauce and a vinaigrette, creating a Lemon Sherry Thyme Sauce. It’s made up of lemon juice, sherry vinegar, shallots, thyme and dijon mustard for a light, yet flavor packed binder for the pasta and veggies. Another happy accident in the kitchen! My favorite kind.
If you want to know more about veggie spiralizers, click here. They are just about the greatest kitchen invention since the salad spinner.
Zucchini Pasta with Hazlenuts, Goat Cheese and Lemon Sherry Thyme SauceSERVES 6-8 PrintDownload
- 4 cups whole wheat wide "egg" noodles
- 3 zucchinis, spiralized or sliced into ribbons on a mandolin.
- 3 cups of fresh spinach
- 1 shallot
- 2 Tbsp of fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp of Sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp of dried thyme
- 1 tsp of dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth ( you can use chicken or even white wine)
- 1/2 cup of toasted hazelnuts
- 3 oz of goat cheese, crumbled
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, spiralize the zucchini into ribbons. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the finely chopped shallot with the lemon juice, sherry vinegar, mustard, thyme and veggie broth. After about 10 minutes, whisk in the olive oil until it emulsifies.
- Toast the hazelnuts in a dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant. Remove from the heat, allow them to cool and roughly chop them. You want big pieces, so basically just spilt them in half.
- Drain the pasta. Heat up a large skillet. Add in the vinaigrette sauce and zucchini and cook for about 3 minutes. Add in the pasta and spinach. Remove from the heat when the spinach begins to wilt. Pour into a big pasta bowl. Sprinkle with the hazelnuts and goat cheese.
- This can be served warm or cold. Either way it is soooooooo good.