Happy Spring everybody! For the first day of spring, I wanted to share one of my favorite go to meals, Pistachio Chicken. A couple summers ago I stayed with some friends in Rhode Island for a week and this was one of the meals that she made while I was there. I can’t take credit for it, but it is absolutely delicious and I want to pass it on to you. This is great to make for company because you can cook the chicken and then keep it on a baking sheet in a warm oven for up to an hour. The onions take a few minutes to cook, so they can be made ahead and reheated and it takes all of two minutes to smash up an avocado with a little lime juice and salt to top the chicken.
Pistachio ChickenSERVES 4 PrintDownload
- 2 chicken breast
- 1 cup of pistachios
- 1 large sweet onion
- 2 avocados
- 1 lime
- olive oil
- In a medium saucepan, heat up two tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
- Slice the onion in half moons. Sprinkle with a little salt and saute until they begin to caramelize. About 15-20 minutes.
- Crush the pistachios in a food processor or grinder. Place in a shallow bowl.
- Put one piece of chicken between two sheets of wax paper and flatten with a mallet. Cut into two pieces and coat with pistachios. Repeat with the other piece of chicken.
- In a large skillet, heat up another two tablespoons of olive oil over medium high heat. Cook the chicken for about 5-7 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- In a small bowl, scoop out the flesh of two avocados. Squeeze about one tablespoon of lime juice over the avocado and season with salt to taste.
- Top the chicken with the onions and guacamole.