I’ve been intrigued by all the different ways to use cauliflower on Pinterest, so I’ve been wanting to try a mashed version to curb my never ending smashed potato craving. I have to say, I’m impressed with how good these Caramelized Onion Cauliflower Mash are! Sometimes substitutes of decadent foods can turn you off of trying healthier options, but not this one. And that’s coming from someone who has never been super keen on cauliflower.
Since I had a big bowl of caramelized onions to use up, I thought they would be perfect mixed into the mashed cauliflower. Talk about serious flavor! These are so yum. I made them with just a little olive oil instead of butter to keep them vegan, but if you want to make these even richer, add butter. Butter is like bacon, it makes everything better. We just went from vegan to bacon, by the way.;)
Caramelized Onion Cauliflower MashSERVES About 4 cups PrintDownload
- 1 head of fresh cauliflower
- 1/4 cup of good olive oil
- 2 cloves of cooked garlic (roasted works best, that's what I used)
- 1/2 cup caramelized onions
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Wash the cauliflower and cut off the florets. Microwave for about 5-6 minutes or steam on the stove (in a steamer basket with 1-2 cups of water in a stock pot, covered) for about the same amount of time until the florets are fork tender.
- In a food processor, pulse the florets with the olive oil, garlic, caramelized onions, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and pepper. Pulse until they resemble mashed potatoes, but be careful not to over process or they will be liquidy.