I love this spiced Indian Salad for many reasons. The first reason is, the only thing you have to turn the stove or oven on for, is to toast the almonds. So it’s basically no-cook. This salad has amazing flavor. I’m not the world’s biggest fan of carrots, but there are a few ways I can enjoy them. This salad is one of those ways. It has the sweetness from the carrots, raisins and honey, the toasty, nuttiness from the almonds and then this mild kick of aromatic flavor from the Garam Masala. If you’re unfamiliar with Garam Masala, it’s a spice blend used often in Indian cooking. It’s loaded with cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, black and white pepper, nutmeg and cloves among a few others. So as you can see, this is a full flavored spice blend. Mix this salad up and serve it over salad greens or serve it as a side dish to any protein. You’ll love this easy side for busy weeknights as school kicks in this week.
Indian Spiced Rainbow Carrot SaladSERVES 4 PrintDownload
- 1 lbs rainbow carrots (or regular if you can't find rainbow)
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 Tbsp of honey
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 2 heaping Tbsp of Garam Masala spice blend (can be found in your grocer's spice isle)
- 1 tsp of cumin
- salt and pepper
- Wash the carrots and peel the top layer of skin off. Using the vegetable peeler, shave the carrots into shreds. Place the shreds in a bowl.
- Toast the almonds in a dry skillet over medium heat until they are golden brown and fragrant. All them to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix together the lemon juice, honey, olive oil, Garam Masala, cumin and a couple pinches of salt. Pour the dressing over the carrots and toss to coat. Sprinkle the toasted almonds, raisins and parsley over the salad and gently toss to combine.
- Serve cold or room temperature.