Eggplant LasagnaSERVES 12 PrintDownload
- 2 large eggplants
- 1 box of frozen spinach
- 1 10 oz package of fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 9 slices of swiss cheese (low fat is fine, it's what I use)
- 9 slices of provolone cheese
- 1 1/2 cups of part skim mozzarella
- 1/3 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1 15 oz container of part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup of cottage cheese, low fat
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp of italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- Thaw the spinach and squeeze most of the liquid out.
- In a medium saute pan, heat up a couple teaspoons of olive oil over medium heat.
- Brown the mushrooms, remove to a bowl and set aside.
- Saute the chopped onion until softened. Add the garlic and about 1/4 tsp of salt and 1/8 tsp of pepper and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms and spinach and allow the spinach to get hot. Set this mixture aside.
- Brush a grill pan with with olive oil and heat to medium high. Slice the eggplant longways. Grill each slice for a minute or two on each side.
- In another bowl, combine the ricotta, cottage cheese, eggs, Italian seasoning, 1/4 tsp of salt and pepper together.
- In a 9x13 baking dish, spread a little sauce on the bottom. Line the bottom with eggplant slices, top with a little of the ricotta mixture, add a veggie layer, sauce layer and then swiss, provolone and mozzarella.
- Repeat until all ingredients are used ending with a sauce layer. Sprinkle with mozzarella and fresh parmesan.
- Bake at 375 for about 30-45 minutes until the cheese is gold and bubbly.