I love to give food gifts. Shocker, I know. What food blogger wouldn’t?! Blogging aside, though, I really like to give food as gifts. I was thinking about a few things to do this year for Christmas and ran across whipped feta dip on Pinterest. As good as whipped feta sounded (what whipped cheese doesn’t sound amazing, I ask you?!), I thought I’d be a little different and try whipped goat cheese. Ahhh, goat cheese….ya’ll know how I feel about goat cheese. I would frost a cake with it.
I thought I’d whip the goat cheese with fresh herbs and package it in cute little glass containers. Then, I got a crazy wild hair to make homemade crackers to go along with it. Ummm, why have I never made crackers before??? Homemade crackers are sooooo easy to make and there are only a handful of ingredients in them. All of which are pronounceable! This is a great gourmet gift to give to your food loving family and friends or the people on your Christmas list that are next to impossible to shop for. Just make sure to save a little extra for yourself.
Whipped Herbed Goat Cheese and Homemade CrackersSERVES makes about 3 1/2 cups PrintDownload
- 11 oz of plain goat cheese, room temperature
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 heaping Tbsp of orange zest, about 1 medium size orange
- 1 Tbsp of chopped fresh chives
- 1 Tbsp of chopped fresh thyme
- 2 Tbsp of chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp of roasted garlic (about two cloves)
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Homemade Crackers :
- makes about 64 small crackers
- 2 cups of flour (can be a combo of whole wheat and all purpose)
- 3 Tbsp of olive oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- toppings: coarse salt, cracked pepper, fennel seeds, sesame seeds, dried herbs
- Whipped Herbed Goat Cheese :
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the two cheeses with an electric mixer until combined. Add in the remaining ingredients and stir until combined.
- Spoon into individual jars, cover and refrigerate.
- *Before serving, allow the cheese to sit out for about 30 minutes to soften up a bit.
- *For the roasted garlic, take one or two large cloves of garlic (peeled) and place them on a piece of tin foil. Drizzle with about a teaspoon of olive oil and roast in a 425 degree oven for about 5-7 minutes until soft. Allow them to cool, smash and add to the cheese mixture.
- Homemade Crackers :
- Mix together the flour, olive oil, water and salt. If it's not combining all the way, add 1 tablespoon of extra water at a time until you're able to form a ball of dough. Leave it in the bowl and lightly cover with plastic wrap. Allow it to rest for about 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the dough until it's very thin. Cut out desired shape of crackers using a cookie cutter or pasta cutter. Place the crackers on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brush the crackers with melted butter and top with toppings of choice.
- Bake the crackers at 375 for about 5-10 minutes until they are lightly browned and crisp.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.