Strawberry clafoutis is a classic French dessert that I have been making since my early days in culinary school. I remember enjoying them in school cafeterias; they were always such a treat! Later when I was apprenticing in France, I learned that the name clafoutis comes from the verb “claquer” which means to pat or hit with a spoon. The batter is poured over whole fresh strawberries and baked until it puffs up into this custard-like texture. It can be served hot out of the oven as dessert or cold as an elegant breakfast dish.
How to make this meal
The French are known for their love of gastronomy and this Strawberry Clafoutis recipe is the perfect example. This dessert has a delicious, custard-like filling that’s made from eggs, sugar, milk, flour and butter. The batter is then poured over whole fresh or frozen strawberries before it goes into the oven to bake. You can serve it hot with whipped cream on top (or ice cream) or cold as an elegant breakfast dish. It’s sure to be loved by all!
- ⅔ cup almond flour
- ½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup raw sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk of your choice
- Oil or butter for greasing the baking dish
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and sliced
Step by step Cooking Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl sift together almond flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In another mixing bowl beat eggs with an electric mixer until they are light yellow in color. Add vanilla extract and then milk of choice while continuing to mix on low speed for about 20 seconds or until just combined.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to beaten egg mixture alternately with non-dairy milk mixture starting and ending with dry ingredients (about three parts dry ingredient to two parts liquid). Do not overmix batter which should be thick but smooth.
- Gently fold sliced strawberries into batter using silicon spatula or wooden spoon so as not break them apart too much.
- Pour batter into lightly greased or sprayed round cake pan about 12 inches in diameter.
- Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of the clafoutis comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve with whipped cream.
This is a sweet, light and fruity dessert that will make you feel like summertime has finally arrived! Bring this easy recipe to your next gathering or serve it up for breakfast with coffee.
You’ll love the simplicity of the ingredients and how well they work together in making this dish taste so good. if you are a strawberry lover, be sure to check out my blog at Strawberry Coconut Tartlets. It’s also a great choice for a sweet breakfast.
- 21+ Delicious Breakfast Ideas with Eggs and Sausage - October 12, 2021
- 23 Sweet and Savory Breakfast Ideas with Bananas - October 12, 2021
- 21 Healthy and Easy Breakfast Ideas with Tortillas - October 12, 2021