The two big zucchini from the garden were staring me down today because they had been sitting on my kitchen counter for about a week and if they didn’t get cooked in the next few days, they were going to need to be tossed. I couldn’t bear the thought of throwing away our hard work, so zucchini pie it was! I had all the ingredients on hand so this was an easy dinner to whip up. It might be breakfast too. And lunch.
I’ve made a version of this before as an appetizer. If you want to do that, thinly slice the zucchini instead of grate it, put the mixture in a 9 inch square pan and cut in little squares or triangles after you bake it for easy pick up.
Savory Zucchini PieSERVES 6-8 PrintDownload
- 3 cups of grated zucchini
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of chopped sweet onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of light baking mix (such as bisquick)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Grate the zucchini on a box grater and toss in a medium size bowl.
- Add in 3/4 cup of the parmesan cheese and the remaining ingredients. Mix well to combine.
- Pour into a 9 inch pie plate that has been lightly brushed with a little olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of parmesan over the pie.
- Bake at 350 for about 40-45 minutes until the pie is set and lightly browned on top.