It’s Friday and it’s cocktail time! For the summer, every Friday I’m going to be featuring a different drink. Why not, right?! It’s summer, it’s hot, there are lots of parties going on (backyard, poolside, lakeside, beachside) and we need to be prepared with the perfect cocktail. Today’s perfect summer cocktail, a Lemon Blueberry Moonshine Slush.
This moonshine slush was inspired by a bourbon slush that my aunt did for my cousin’s college graduation. I needed some sort of drink to submit to TOWN for the article they did and while the bourbon drink was knock your socks off delish, it had to be adapted into my own recipe. I went with a version of the bourbon slush but decided to put my own spin on it using moonshine. We have distilleries popping up all over the place around here and with blueberries in season this month, that seemed to be the perfect southern combo for this Moonshine Slush.
Make ahead drinks are essential for a party and when the weather heats up later this month, you’ll want something cold like this slushy to cool you down. Have a great weekend everyone! Enjoy, enjoy!!
*I used moonshine from a local distillery called Dark Corner. If you’re ever in Downtown Greenville, SC, stop by and check them out. They’ll even give you a little smacklin’ to try.
Lemon Blueberry Moonshine SlushSERVES 12-14 PrintDownload
- 4 1/2 cups of water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 12oz container of frozen lemonade
- 1 1/2 cups of fresh blueberries (could use frozen if that's what you have)
- 1 1/2 cups of moonshine
- 1 bottle of sparkling lemonade
- In a large stock pot, bring the sugar and water to a boil. Boil until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove it from the heat and allow it to cool down for about 5-10 minutes.
- Using about 1/2-3/4 of a cup of the cooled sugar water, blend the blueberries until smooth.
- Pour back into the large pot of sugar water along with the frozen lemonade and moonshine. Stir to combine everything.
- Pour the entire mixture into a freezer safe bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze 6-8 hours to overnight. It will take that long to freeze with the amount of alcohol in it.
- Just before serving, remove it from the freezer and scrape with a fork to create a slushy.
- Serve in glasses and pour a little sparkling lemonade over top.