I should take a screen shot of the weather forecast so ya’ll can see what record temperatures we’re having right now! I know I mentioned last week when I posted Friday’s cocktail that there had been a slight, fall-like breeze in the air. Well, it feels like full on fall right now! A high of 70-72 and lows in the mid 60s. I’M IN HEAVEN!!! With the cooler temperatures comes buckets of rain, that I don’t mind, but we don’t need. However, the rain just makes the cooler weekend cozier and perfect for staying indoors and making a big pot of soup and drinking delicious Earl Grey Hot Toddy cocktails. Okay, I may be getting a little carried away. It’s not snowing for pete’s sake, but by god, there’s no harm in pretending! Especially when the thermometer should be reading about 102.
Hot Toddy cocktails are so easy to mix up and you can make enough for one or you can make a big pitcher for a crowd. I’m a big fan of easy cocktails such as this. You can play around with it too. I love Earl Grey tea and it was the first thing I grabbed out of the drawer. It also just happened to be a fantastic mixer to bourbon, lemon and honey. But I think this drink would be equally as delicious with a little grated ginger, cinnamon or star anise. Or try mixing in fresh orange juice or maple syrup instead of the lemon juice and honey or using your favorite flavor of tea.
And a little side note…these are fabulous if you feel a cold coming on and you have a sore throat. You’ll sleep like a fat baby, which I’m sure has nothing to do with the bourbon in it.;)
Earl Grey Hot ToddySERVES 2 PrintDownload
- 2 Earl Grey tea bags
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1-2 oz of your favorite bourbon
- 4 Tbsp of fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp of honey (more if you want it a little sweeter)
- Put the water in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Remove the water from the heat, add in the tea bags and cover.
- Allow the tea to steep for about 3-5 minutes.
- After a few minutes, pour in the lemon juice and mix in the honey.
- Add 1/2-1 oz of the bourbon to two coffee mugs, pour the tea mixture over each.
- Garnish with a slice of lemon.