I’ve been terrible about blogging here lately, but what better way to get back at it right as the holidays are just about in full swing. It’s the best time of year to post new recipes and anything related to parties and entertaining. Starting with this Friendsgiving!
I hosted my first Friendsgiving a few years back and absolutely loved the concept. I’m usually with just family during the holidays, which I wouldn’t trade for anything, but I love my friends as dearly as family too, so having a separate Friendsgiving to celebrate and give thanks to the amazing friendships I’ve been blessed with is icing on the cake, so to speak.
When Jenny and I were planning the decor and menu for our Friendsgiving, we wanted the table to be fresh and light in color and the food to be more of a nod to Thanksgiving favorites but with some twists.
To view the items Jenny picked for the Friendsgiving table from Swoozies, head over to her blog for the links to shop the look. Boho Style File.
Below you’ll find a menu full of appetizers and a delicious, crisp Apple Cider Sangria to serve to your friends during your Friendsgiving.
Hope you enjoy this Friendsgiving spread and it inspires you to celebrate all the great friendships in your life!
Florals: Statice Floral
Photography: Angela Zion
Location: The Station
Dessert: Orange Cardamom Tea Cookies
Mashed Potato Croquettes with Gravy Dipping SauceSERVES 8 PrintDownload
- 2 baking potatoes
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- salt/pepper to taste
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup of flour, plus more for dredging
- 1 cup of panko bread crumbs
- 1 packet instant gravy
- 1/2 teaspoon of rubbed Sage
- To make the make the mashed potatoes:
- Peel and cut the potatoes. Place in a medium sized pot and cover with cold water. Sprinkle in about a teaspoon of salt to flavor the water. Bring the potatoes to a boil and cook until fork tender. Drain off the water
- Add in the butter, mustard and another sprinkle of salt and pepper. Beat with a mixer until smooth. Cool completely.
- Add in one egg and 1/4 cup of flour to the mashed potatoes. Mix to combine. Refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Using a large spoon or ice cream scoop, spoon a little bit of mashed potatoes into your hand and create a ball. Place on a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining mashed potatoes. Return to the refrigerator for about 30 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 400. Prepare the dredging elements. Whisk the 2 eggs in a shallow bowl, place about 1/2 cup of flour in another and the panko crumbs in a 3rd bowl.
- Roll the croquettes in the egg, then roll in the flour. Dip them in the egg again and then roll in the panko crumbs. Repeat until all the croquettes have been breaded. Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes until they are golden brown
- To make the gravy dipping sauce:
- Make the gravy according to the package directions and add in the rubbed sage. Keep the sauce warm.
- Serve the croquettes on a platter with the warm dipping sauce
Turkey Sausage Stuffed MushroomsSERVES 8 PrintDownload
- 2 links of mild or hot turkey sausage
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic
- 4 oz of cream cheese
- 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- about 20 white button mushrooms
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- Wipe the mushrooms clean with a damp dishtowel. Remove the stems and finely chop them.
- In a medium size skillet, heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
- remove the casings from the sausage. Add the sausage to the pan, cooking for about 5 minutes until it's almost done. Remove from the heat and transfer the sausage into a bowl.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Add in the chopped onions and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Cook for about 3minutes until they begin to soften. Add in the chopped mushrooms. Cook for another 3-5 minutes. Next, add in the garlic and cook for about 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the sausage back to the pan with the onions along with the spinach and another sprinkle of salt and pepper. Mix everything together and cook for about 3 minutes
- Next, add in the cream cheese, stirring until it melts. Add in 1/3 cup of the parmesan cheese. Mix together until everything is combined. Remove from the heat and let the mixture cool just a bit.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Spoon a little of the turkey mixture into each mushroom cap. Place in a shallow baking dish.
- Sprinkle the mushrooms with the remaining parmesan cheese and bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes until the filling turns golden brown. Serve warm.
Brie Bites with Texas Style Cranberry ChutneySERVES 8 PrintDownload
- 1 French baguette loaf
- about 6 oz of brie cheese
- olive oil
- 2 8 ounce cans crushed pineapple, drained really well
- 1 15 oz can of whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/4 cup of green onions, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- olive oil
- To make the cranberry sauce:
- In a small saucepan, combine the cranberry sauce, pineapple, brown sugar, ginger and salt.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 5 minutes until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the heat and add in the jalapeño and green onions. Stir to combine.
- Once the mixture has cooled completely, refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble the Brie Bites:
- Preheat the oven to 350. Slice the baguette into 1/2 inch thick slices. Place on a baking sheet and drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Bake the bread slices for about 10 minutes until they begin to crisp up and turn golden brown.
- While the bread is baking, slice the brie. When the bread comes out of the oven, top the slices with the brie so that it melts slightly.
- Top the brie with a little dollop of the cranberry sauce and serve on a platter.
Apple Cider SangriaSERVES 8-10 PrintDownload
- 6 cups of apple cider, chilled
- 1 bottle of crisp white wine, chilled
- 4 cups of ginger ale, chilled
- 2 apples, one green, one red
- 2 cups of fresh cranberries
- In a large pitcher, combine the apple cider, wine and ginger ale in a large pitcher
- Chop the apples and place them in the pitcher along with the whole cranberries.
- Serve immediately.
- **If you make this ahead of time, add everything to the pitcher and keep it chilled. Add the ginger ale just before serving.