I don’t know about you all, but there’s nothing better than starting your morning with a warm cup of something. For most people, including myself, that something is generally coffee. Coffee hasn’t always been my go to in the mornings, but in the last several years, caffeine has started to give me a little boost that helps kick start the day. In years past, I was always a green tea drinker, and while I still love a cup of tea any time of day, that’s generally what I gravitate towards in the afternoon.
While visiting my parents one weekend afternoon, my mom had made a pot of this turmeric “tea” I’m about to show you. She had totally concocted it herself and when she poured me a cup, I was hooked! Not only does it have a fantastic, herby, sharp, spicy flavor, it also has loads of great health benefits. This tea can help with inflammation, help open up your sinuses if you’re suffering from allergies and rev up your metabolism just to name a few. The first time I had it, I immediately went to the store and bought all the ingredients to make it myself.
You can make this as grass roots as you want, or cut some corners. I always believe fresh is best, BUT, I didn’t really want to deal with fresh turmeric and have to puree it, so I opted for dried, ground turmeric and kept everything else fresh. Mom didn’t do this to her tea, but I added a couple tablespoons of Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar to mine. I like the sharpness it gives the tea, but if you’re not an apple cider vinegar person, you can stick to just lemon juice. You can also add honey to this if you like a little hint of sweet. Again, it’s all personal preference, but definitely try this for yourself. I think you’ll love mixing up your morning routine with this healthy elixir.
Turmeric “Tea”SERVES 2 PrintDownload
- 2 1/2 cups boiling water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric, divided
- a couple dashes of cayenne pepper
- about 6 slices of fresh ginger, divided
- 4 Tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar, divided. *Optional
- 2 teaspoons of honey, divided. *Optional
- Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan.
- While the water is heating up, squeeze each half of a lemon into two mugs. Add in the slices of ginger, the ground turmeric and a dash of cayenne pepper to each mug.
- You can also add in the apple cider vinegar and honey if you'd like.
- Pour the water into each mug, stir, and let the mixture steep for a few minutes before drinking.