Tropical Tuna CakesSERVES 6 Patties PrintDownload
- 2 cans of tuna (use whatever you like, I prefer packed in water and very low sodium)
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped pineapple
- 1/2 of a jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp of reduced fat mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup of panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup of liquid egg whites (use an egg if you don't have the whites)
- 1 tsp of liquid smoke
- 1/4 tsp of salt (more if you like)
- 1/8 tsp of pepper
- Combine the all of the ingredients in a bowl. Shape the mixture into patties.
- Spray a non stick pan with a little cooking spray.
- Sear the tuna cakes over medium high heat for about 5-7 minutes on each side.
- Be careful when you turn them as they can fall apart until cooked through.
- Turn off the heat and let them stand for another 3-5 minutes so that they firm up.
- I served my tuna cakes on a simple salad of baby lettuces, sunflower seeds and a mango vinaigrette.
- This recipe would serve two adults and two kids. If you have big eaters in your house bump up this recipe by using a third can of tuna and increasing everything else by half of what is called for.