Happy St. Paddy’s day everyone! Today’s recipe might not seem quite as “fun” for a St. Patrick’s day treat. We should probably be eating something more substantial to soak up all that green beer we’ll be drinking, like corned beef and cabbage or shepherds pie with a side of Bailey’s Chocolate Truffles . But this Spring Kale Salad with Honey Lime Dressing is green, it’s healthy and it’s delicious, so we’re gonna run with it. I promise you’ll like it.
After I made the Tuscan Kale and White Bean Soup a couple weeks ago, I told you I’d probably be experimenting with other kale dishes after I finally found the kind of kale I like. Well friends, here’s another way. Spring Kale Salad with Honey. Kale just keeps getting better and better! This is a light, springy salad with fresh Tuscan kale, plump juicy strawberries, salty and crunchy pistachios, creamy crumbled goat cheese and a light, sweet, honey lime dressing. You will lick the salad bowl. I did. Not really. Well, maybe a little.
Spring Kale Salad with Honey Lime DressingSERVES 4 PrintDownload
- 1 large bunch or bag of Tuscan kale, torn up into bite size pieces.
- 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted pistachios
- 4 oz of crumbled goat cheese. Could use blue cheese or feta as a substitute
- 1/2 cup of fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons of minced shallot
- 1/3 cup of local honey
- 1/3-1/2 cup of good olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- To make the dressing, combine the lime juice, minced shallot, honey, a pinch of salt and pepper into a blender. Blend until all the ingredients are combined. While the blender is still on, slowly pour in the olive oil until it emulsifies. Set aside.
- To prepare the salad, wash the greens (if they're not already) and tear into bite size pieces. I discard the stems, but you can eat them if you like. Put all the greens in a large salad bowl and toss with a little bit of the dressing, just until it's coated. Top the greens with the sliced fresh strawberries, pistachios and goat cheese. Drizzle a little bit more dressing over top and serve.