Stewed Okra and Tomatoes Over TilapiaSERVES 4 with extra okra and tomatoes PrintDownload
- 1 1/2 lbs of fresh okra
- 6 medium size tomatoes
- 1 cup of vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup of onion, chopped (I use vidalia)
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp of hot sauce
- 4 tilapia filets
- 1/2 cup of flour
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil a large pot of water and cook the tomatoes for about 3-5 minutes. Immediately plunge them into cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Peel the skin off, chop and set aside. Wash and cut the okra. In the same pot, heat up a tablespoon of olive oil and cook the chopped onion over medium heat until it's translucent.
- About 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about a minute. Add in the okra, tomatoes, broth and hot sauce. Add a little bit of salt and pepper to your taste at this point.
- Cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes and then reduce to simmer for another 30 minutes.
- When the okra and tomatoes are almost done, heat up a large skillet over medium heat and add a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Put the flour in a shallow dish.
- Prepare the tilapia by sprinkling a tiny bit of salt and pepper on them and then very lightly coating them in flour. You don't want them caked in flour, just dusted to add a good crust. Put them in the pan and cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until they turn golden brown.
- Top the tilapia with a heaping spoonful of okra and tomatoes and enjoy!