Southern Sundays: Southern Salad. Say that name five times fast. haha! I have been wanting to make this southern salad for forever! And after I made the Vidalia vinaigrette, now was the perfect time. The Southern Salad encompasses lots of ingredients that we Southerners love best and brings them all into one dish.
I used tilapia as my protein, but you could crust chicken and it would turn out equally as wonderful.
Southern Sundays: Southern SaladSERVES 4 PrintDownload
- 4 Tilapia filets
- 1 1/2 cups pecans, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 8-10 cups of salad greens (could use Kale, mixed greens, romaine or arugula)
- 1 cup of black eyed peas
- 1 cup of dried cranberries
- 1/2 jar of pickled okra, mild (found in the pickle isle), sliced
- 4 oz of crumbled goat cheese
- 1 1/2 cups cornbread croutons (directions below)
- Sweet Vidalia Vinaigrette
- oilve oil
- To make the cornbread croutons, cut bite size squares out of the leftover cornbread recipe. Place the cornbread squares on a baking sheet and drizzle with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Toss the cornbread in the olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Bake on 400 degrees for about 10 minutes until the croutons are browned and crisp. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Place the finely chopped pecans in a shallow dish.
- Wash and dry the fish. Sprinkle each side with a little salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt, honey and dijon mustard. Dip the fish in the yogurt mixture, then coat the filets in the pecans.
- Heat up about 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet to medium heat. Place the fish filets in the hot pan and cook for about 3 minutes on each side.
- While the fish is cooking, toss the greens with about 1/2 cup of dressing in a large bowl and divide among four bowls/plates. Place 1/4 cup of cranberries, black eyed peas and the sliced pickled okra on each salad. Next, sprinkle one ounce of the crumbled goat cheese on each salad and then divide the croutons on each. Place a pecan crusted tilapia filet on top of each salad and serve.