Happy Friday, everyone! Wow, has this week gone by in a flash! Not only has it slipped by, this is our last Friday in May. Gracious, where does time go… To go out with a bang, we’re going to round out this great month with a really pretty cocktail. Rose and Rhubarb Lemonade is, in my opinion, one of the loveliest drinks I’ve ever made. The Rose and Rhubarb Lemonade is floral, sweet and slightly tart. It’s basically like drinking a rose garden. With a hint of lemon. And rhubarb. I could drink these all. day. long!! I also couldn’t resist making something using Nielsen-Massey extracts when I found the rose water while perusing the spice isle at a local specialty foods store. The packaging is beautiful. They’re a spice drawer accessory in vintage inspired apothecary jars.
Since this is the girliest of girlie cocktails, it would be a great drink to serve at a wedding shower or baby shower. If you’re serving it at a baby shower, just eliminate the vodka to create a mocktail version that even the expectant momma can enjoy.
Hope you all have a fantastic weekend!
Rose and Rhubarb LemonadeSERVES 8 PrintDownload
- 4 Rhubarb Stalks, chopped into pieces
- 2 cups of sugar
- 4 cups of water
- 2 tsp of Rose water (specialty grocers or Middle Eastern grocers)
- ½ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1-1 1/2 cups of vodka
- Cook the rhubarb, 2 cups of sugar and 2 cups of water in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until the rhubarb is soft and breaks down, about 15-20 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve, reserving the liquid and discarding the rhubarb.
- Add the rose water to the rhubarb syrup.
- In a pitcher, mix together the remaining 2 cups of water, fresh lemon juice, vodka and rhubarb syrup.
- Stir well. Pour over ice into glasses.