When I was on the road consistently, I used to try and hit as many local restaurants in whatever town I was in. Having done so, has given me the majority of the inspiration you see on this blog. However, I’m also happy with a good chain restaurant. One of my favorites was Maggiano’s Italian restaurant. No matter where you’re at, it’s the same across the board…just plain good. The chopped salad there is still in my list of top 5 great salads. Best of all, it’s super basic and easy for at-home recreation. For today’s recipe we have a loaded chopped salad with parmesan vinaigrette.
Loaded Chopped Salad with Parmesan VinaigretteSERVES 6 PrintDownload
- 2 bunches of green lettuce or romaine, washed and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 cup of grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup of crumbled blue cheese
- 6 slices of bacon, crumbled
- 1 avocado, diced
- For the Vinaigrette :
- 1 tsp of dry mustard
- 1 Tbsp of sugar
- 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp of white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp of red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp of water
- 1/2 - 2/3 cup olive oil
- Make the dressing first, by combining all of the ingredients except the olive oil in a blender and blending well. Slowly add in the olive oil until the dressing emulsifies. Set aside.
- Chop the greens into bite size pieces and place in a serving bowl. Lightly toss the greens with about 1/4-1/3 cup of the dressing. Top the greens with the halved grape tomatoes, blue cheese, crumbled bacon and diced avocado. Serve the extra dressing on the side.