Ginger Watermelon GranitaSERVES 8-10 PrintDownload
- 8 cups of seedless watermelon, about 1 medium size watermelon
- 1 Tbsp of fresh grated ginger, plus a few slices
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of water
- juice and zest of one lime
- In a small saucepan combine the water and sugar and a few slices of ginger together.
- Heat over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Allow to cool while you prepare the watermelon.
- Discard the ginger after it's cooled.
- Scoop out the flesh of the watermelon. Add about 4 cups to a blender and blend. Strain the watermelon through a fine mesh strainer into a large freezer safe dish to catch any blended up stray seeds.
- Get as much liquid out of it as you can. Repeat with the rest of the watermelon. Add in the lime juice and zest, the simple syrup (water and sugar) and the tablespoon of grated ginger.
- Stir it up to combine everything. Place it in the freezer for about an hour. After an hour, check to see if any ice crystals have formed on top of the liquid.
- If so, scrape them forming shaved ice. Repeat every half hour to hour until the entire dish is shaved ice.