We have had the dreariest, rainiest weather in the last couple days and the only thing that has sounded good is a hearty bowl of Chicken and Wild Rice Soup. I made this Chicken and Wild Rice Soup with leftover wild rice from the Vidalia Chicken and Wild Rice recipe from a couple of weeks ago and it was absolutely to die for. It’s so helpful to be able to repurpose leftovers into new meals. I call this being kitchen savvy.
Chicken and Wild Rice SoupSERVES 8-10 PrintDownload
- 2 cups of wild rice
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 4 stalks of celery, finely chopped
- 3 large carrots, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 6 cups of vegetable or chicken broth
- In a large soup pot, heat up 1/3 cup of vegetable broth to medium heat and add in the onion and carrots. Cook for about 10 minutes until the onion and carrots begin to soften and the liquid is absorbed. Add in the celery, a sprinkle of salt and pepper and another 1/3 cup of broth. Continue cooking the vegetables until the liquid is absorbed and the they are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Next, add in the shredded chicken, wild rice and remaining broth. Bring the soup up to medium heat and then reduce the heat to simmer for about 30 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve.
Wild rice, recipe here