With new year’s resolutions in full swing, some of us are trying to eliminate certain things from their diet. Lots of people choose to take dairy out of their diet, but luckily, there are alternatives out there that can give a similar taste to those cheese lovers out there.
I basically took the cheese sauce I made from the Chipotle Mac and “Cheese” I made a while back, left out the chipotle peppers and added it to the soup to create a creamy texture and add that decadent cheese flavor. If you’re dairy free, this is a must make during these cold winter months.
Broccoli and “Cheese” SoupSERVES 6 PrintDownload
- 3 cups of broccoli florets
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cups of veggie broth
- 3/4 cup of raw cashews
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup of water
- Special Equipment: Blender or immersion blender
- Wash and peel the onion, then roughly chop. In a large stockpot, bring about 1/3 cup of the veggie broth up to medium heat. Add the onion, a sprinkle of salt and pepper and broth sauté for about 10 minutes until the liquid is absorbed and the onion is soft. If you need to add more broth, add 1/4 cup at a time until the onion is cooked.
- Wash and roughly chop the broccoli. Add the broccoli to the cooked onion and cover with the remaining vegetable broth. Cover and cook over medium heat until the broccoli is fork tender. About 10-15 minutes.
- While the broccoli is cooking make the "cheese" sauce to add to the soup. In a high powered blender, combine the cashews, nutritional yeast, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, lemon juice and water. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- When the broccoli is fork tender, remove it from the heat. Blend in batches or use an immersion blender in the same soup pot to blend in one spot. Stir in the cheese sauce and return to the heat to get it hot.
- Ladle into bowls and enjoy!