Since Easter is just around the corner, we needed a yummy, baked good for breakfast to kick our week off to a great start. Something involving carrots seemed appropriate. I’ve been seeing countless pictures of baked doughnuts on Pinterest, so I had to get a doughnut pan of my own and give these Baked Carrot Cake Doughnuts with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting a whirl .
There really isn’t much to say about these doughnuts. Let’s face it, does anyone really need selling when it comes to dough topped with icing? Nah. Obviously, if you like Carrot Cake, you’re going to love these and I can guarantee if you try these once, you’ll make them over and over.
Baked Carrot Cake Doughnuts with Lemon Cream Cheese FrostingSERVES 12-14 doughnuts PrintDownload
- Baked Carrot Cake Doughnuts:
- 1 stick of butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup vanilla yogurt
- 2/3 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 2/3 cup finely shredded carrots
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans, finely chopped (optional for topping)
- 1/4 cup extra shredded carrots (optional for topping)
- Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 oz of cream cheese, room temperature
- 1-2 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp of fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp fresh lemon zest
- For the doughnuts, cream together the butter, sugar and salt. Add in the egg, vanilla and yogurt and mix until smooth. Next, mix in the carrots and pineapple. Add in the cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and flour. Mix until it's all combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- Lightly grease the doughnut pan, even though it's non stick. Fill each cavity about half full. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes until the doughnuts are lightly browned. Allow them to cool completely before frosting. While they're cooling, make the frosting.
- Mix the cream cheese until it's smooth. Add in 1 cup of powdered sugar, lemon juice and zest. Mix together until smoot. If the frosting isn't thick enough, add in a quarter cup of extra powdered sugar at a time until it's thick, but spreadable.
- Frost the cooled doughnuts with the Lemon Cream Cheese frosting and then lightly sprinkle them with the finely chopped, toasted pecans and shredded carrots.