Apple Crumble BarsSERVES 12-15 PrintDownload
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 1 egg
- 2 sticks of butter
- 4 apples, 2 tart, 2 sweet
- 3 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of apple cider or juice
- 1 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp of ground cloves
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of quick cooking oats
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- Melt one stick of the butter and add it to the cake mix with the egg. Press the mixture into the bottom of a jelly roll pan or a 9x13 baking dish.
- Peel and chop the apples into bite size pieces. In a saute pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add the apples, cider, 2 teaspoons of the cinnamon, 1 tsp of the nutmeg and the ground cloves. Let the apples cook until they are fork tender. About 10-15 minutes.
- In another small bowl, mix the flour, oats, sugar and remaining nutmeg and cinnamon together. Cut 3 tablespoons of butter into the mixture until it's crumbly.
- Spread the apples over the top of the cake mix. Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the top and bake it at 350 for about 50 minutes.
- Allow it to cool and cut into squares. Serve with ice cream or fresh whipped cream.